Wednesday, December 3, 2008

A visit with St. Nick

Quick appointment update first. I saw my OB yesterday and despite this baby being even lower than last week, I'm still around 1.5 cm so no change. I have another appointment scheduled for Monday when I will be past my due date and if there there is no baby here by next Wednesday, I have a c-section scheduled for 11:00. One way or another, baby will be here by this time next week.

This morning I decided to take Nate to the mall to see Santa and play on the playground there. So we head out and in the car Nate and I practice what he'll say to Santa. (By the way, Nate has refused to talk with Santa or sit on his lap since his first Christmas when he was a month old.) I told Nate that Santa would ask him if had been a good boy that year and Nate could say "Yes" because he had been good lately and was doing a good job of listening to mommy and daddy. And then Santa would ask him what he wanted for Christmas. Nate replied that he wanted "Lights. Rudolph lights that would shine in the dark." Okay, not sure where that came from because he'd never mentioned it to me but I'll go with it. We get to the mall and trek over to Santa Land. As we approach, I can see Nate freezing up. So once again this year, I am saved the expense of a $20 5x7 of my boy with Santa. We ended up going to the second floor where Nate could look down on Santa talking with other kids. We probably watched him for at least 15 minutes but I couldn't convince Nate to go talk to him.

On the playground where I explained to Nate that he would have to take off his shoes if he wanted to get down and play. After watching the other kids play for about 20 minutes, we left the playground with his shoes still firmly on his feet. I guess we are just raising a cautious son who is not one to dive into new situations. (Especially ones that involve removing his shoes.) So we went back to spy on Santa for another few minutes before we left. Maybe next year will be the year Nate finally talks with the jolly old man.

3 comments:

Nemeth family said...

Sounds a lot like Kyle. He is very leery of the jolly old man and has already told us "I don't like Santa" everytime we ask him what he wants Santa to bring. I think he thinks he HAS to sit on his lap to get anything from Santa. And he doesn't want to do that. He also would not take his shoes off the first time we went to the play area at the mall or for an open gym thing we took him to. Luckily he got over that...still doesn't like it, but will do it. Just curious...did Nate have his crocs on?! LOL

dougnlarry said...

Santa is highly overrated. I don't think my kids have ever sat on Santa's lap. It's ok. :)

Wed! It will be here before you know it! So, any mom's intuition as to what color is growing in there? :)

Mindy V. said...

Baby Boy Linn was born late on the day December 5th. I am sure she will post details when she gets the chance.