Monday, August 25, 2008

You are my sunshine?

I think we are still dealing with the aftermath of the visit from the binky fairy. Nate hasn't asked for his binky since the day after they were "given to the babies" but I know he's not sleeping as well through the night and his naps are not as long. So my poor boy is pretty tuckered out and bit more cranky and "terrible twoish". This morning he was mad at me because I wouldn't let him watch cartoons before going to the sitters. (I know better than to start allowing that because once those cartoons are on, we'd NEVER get out of the house.) So he sat down on the ground and glared at me and then threw himself backwards and started screaming/crying. I tried to talk to him but it just made it worse so I told him I would be in the kitchen and when he was ready from breakfast, he could come see me. About 20 seconds later, he stomped into the kitchen and announced, "I'm mad at you Mommy. You made me fall down." Yes, he was mad at me because and in his anger he flopped himself on the floor so I guess in his mind, that means I made him fall down.

Tonight, Nate was very mad during his bath because I beat him up the stairs. (His competitive streak will be a whole separate post sometime.) So he cried through his bath and started calming down just a little when he was wrapped up in his towel and I was rocking him in his chair. I started singing "You are my Sunshine" to him because that used to calm him down when he was a little baby and I was feeling nostalgic. He stared up at me with his big brown eyes and I could see him just start to relax. I sang it through twice and finish up with "...please don't take my sunshine away." Suddenly, Nate reaches and grabs the air in front of my face and says in his tough guy voice "I just stole your sunshine Mommy." So of course I act horrified for him and the next thing I know, he's thrown my "sunshine" in his mouth and chewed it up. (I guess he was still a little bit mad with me.) When I asked for my sunshine back though, he did spit it into my hand for me so I guess maybe he really does love me after all.

(And by the way, this is my first night with no Olympics in 17 days....what am I supposed to do with my evenings again?)

2 comments:

C! said...

What an imagination Nate has :) I've seen some of that "twoish" behavior here too...well lots of it actually. Here's hoping the "threeish" days are a bit calmer and happier! And yes, he gave you your sunshine back - that is a good sign LOL

Phyllis said...

ahhh....the days when one can 'chew up' things and then spit them back out to make all right in the world again!